Saturday, July 22, 2006

Ryan Adams & The Cardinals: 7/20/06


First I must say, amazing show. The band was so tight, and it was the best setlist that Ryan has ever had when I've see him.
Set 1:
Shakedown On 9th St.
What Sin >
Dear Chicago >
Magnolia Mountain
Cherry Lane
Please Don’t Let Me Go
To Be Young
Beautiful Sorta
Mockingbird Song
A Kiss Before I Go
This Is It

Set 2:
The End
Improv Song: Martians, Will Smith & Harry Connick Jr.
Let It Ride
Wish You Were Here
Two Hearts
I See Monsters
Note To Self
Easy Plateau

Encore:
Why Do They Leave
Chin Up, Cheer Up
Blue Hotel
Two
Come Pick Me Up

Before the show as we were waiting outside, Ryan comes out of the venue on his skateboard with his guitar tech andsomee other guys. We also spotted Brab Pemberton (drummer), and Jon Graboff (pedal steel) coming out of the bus. We got into the venue and got decent spots on the right side of the stage. Neal Casal was the opening act, and he also played in the Cardinals with Ryan. He was okay, I was just really anxious to see Ryan. Shakedown was as always alot of fun.; What Sin into Dear Chicago was mind bending! Easily the highlight of the first set. Ryan was all business the first set, and didn't say a word to us until the last song of the first sent. The second set he was quite chatty, and very funny. He did the funniest improv song basically about the movie Independence Day. He played alot of Rock N Roll songs, which was suprising, and very exciting to hear. Wish You Were here and Note to Self: Don't Die wereburstingg with energy. I See Monsters was stunning to hear with a full band backing him. Easy Plateau was the best and most refreshing that I've ever heard it. Ryan left the stage saying goodbye, and the house lights came up. The roadies started to take apart the stage, and everyone in the audience was confused. He haden't even played 2 hours, and there wasn't anacoustice guitar in sight the whole show. We put that aside, and I went to get a setlist from the stage. As I waswaitingg, right at theedges of the stage, dead center, the band walks back on stage looking confused. Everyone jams back into place on the floor, and the roadies bring back their microphones. Ryan was like "We're not done, we just stepped out for a cigarette". Unfortunately when the house lights came up, the security guard at Starland forced the people at the back of the venue out. And when the band came back on, they weren'tallowedd to come back into the venue. Fightseruptedd, and cops arrived and arrested a few people. Starland really messed up. I was lucky enough to have stayed around, and Ryan was in top form for the encore.






By the way, Catherine Popper is still very hot. Just thought I'd mention that


So for Come Pick Me Up, Ryan stands on top of a piano bench and plays to the crowd. It was simply stunning. They walked off, and this time, we all knew it was over. I'm still digesting this show, so I can't really compare it with all his other performances that I have seen. I will say that this time, I could at least see his face. At the Beacon I had terrible seats, and the lighting was so dim. Last time I saw him at Starland it was more like Grizzly Adams. It was an awesome show, and I can't wait to get the bootleg of this. Bound to be a classic.

I have so much to post with music news, and a podcast in the works, but I must restrain myself!

Peace & Love,
Lowden

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home