Friday, July 28, 2006

Album Reviews and ramblings

Hey guys. I've bought a lot of albums recently, so I will take the time now to break them down for you

Ben Folds Five - Ben Folds Five

As I've said many times, my favorite Ben Folds Five Album is The Unauthorized Biography Of Reinhold Messenger, but most Ben Folds fans say that it's their least favorite of his records. For awhile I could never understand why. Just recently I finally understand where they're coming from. They missed the sheer upbeat, and often silliness of the band that you find on this stellar record. On their debut album, Ben Folds Five dares you to not smile once at their silly lyrics. On Julianne, they open with, "I met this girl who looked like Axl Rose". Hilarious. Each song is its own pop hook in itself. So catchy it should be a crime.
Ugly Rating: 5/5
Ugliest track: The Last Polka

Sonic Youth - Rather Ripped

As I unwrapped the CD and looked at the picture of the band as I put the CD on, the first thought that came to my mind was, "Wow, Sonic Youth is so old!" And they really are folks, but their age doesn't take away from the fact that in their 25th year as a band, they are still making cutting edge rock music. This album is no Sister, or for that matter, its especially not Daydream Nation. Unlike those albums, this one is very accessible, and not difficult to listen to. It's comparable to their previous album, Sonic Nurse in that respect. Its again very jammy, and still has the classic guitar produced noise that makes Sonic Youth who they are.
Ugly Rating: 3.5/5
Ugliest Track: Pink Stream

I have some other albums to review, put I'm too damn tired to bother with it right now. It's been a long week folks. This summer has just been a really confusing one for me, and I'm not in the best moods right now.

I'm off to my cousin's wedding tomorrow, then Catch 22 w/ Big D & The Kid's Table on Sunday.

See you all soon.
Peace & Love,
Lowden

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home